Welcome to Bloominglabs, Bloomington's very own hackerspace!
We have MOVED! Our new address is 1609 S. Rogers Street Building 4!!
Bloominglabs is Indiana's first hackerspace (also known as a makerspace). We are a group of community members that have commonly rented a place where we can build projects both collectively and individually. We are open to the public on Wednesday evenings from 7pm until 10pm and are family friendly.
- Sign up to the announcement mailing list to keep up with our group.
- Our Calendar of events
- Follow us on Twitter @Bloominglabs, Facebook, and Google+.
- Checkout photos from past events on Flickr
- Our IRC server is at irc.bloominglabs.org:6667, #hackerspace.
- We can also be reached via old fashioned email at contact (]at[) bloominglabs dot o r g.
- We have a new mailing address! P.O. Box 2443, Bloomington, IN 47402
We are a non-profit now! Bloominglabs is incorporated as its own entity in the state of Indiana, and is fiscally sponsored by School Factory, Inc., a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Want to make a donation with PayPal? Please use this link:
- (Note to members - this link should not be used for paying membership dues)
Information for our members: this is how we process cash and hardware Donations.
Current Events (PastEvents)
- We have MOVED!! Our current address is 1609 S. Rogers Street Building 4!!
- Scribblebots workshop at Wonderlab
- October 9, 1:30pm to 4pm
- Check out Wonderlab's page for more information
- Meet Your Maker
- Costume workshops/Membership Drive
- We'll be open to the public every night, October 27th-30th, 7pm to 10pm
- Come by to work on your Halloween costume, carve pumpkins, work on your projects, check out our new space, or just hang out
- Each visit will count towards your three visit requirement to become a member
- Public Hack Meetings!
- Every Wednesday from 7pm until 10pm
- Come build projects, ask questions, teach things, and learn stuff
- All ages and everyone is welcome
Currently we meet every Wednesday at 7:00pm at 1609 S. Rogers Street Building 4, Bloomington, Indiana. These meetings are open to the public; anyone is welcome to attend. We usually meet for 2-3 hours and have a lot of fun. Having access to tools is only part of the equation, socializing with people and learning from each other is another large benefit from our group. Pretty much whatever people want to work on or learn is fair game. We currently have an electronics and robotics focus but there's also interest in general science and astronomy as well. If it's cool and interesting then we are all interested.
We have moved to a new space! Our new address is 1609 S. Rogers, Building 4, and it is an open, well-insulated warehouse which is over 3100 square feet in size. This space is about a mile south of downtown and is accessible from the B-Line Trail. You can see it on a map at: Our Awesome New Space
We have funded a laser cutter, which is now on-site!! What can people do with this you might ask?? It can cut light wood and acrylic for rapid prototyping. It can also etch wood, acrylic, and metal. Many objects from iphones to laptops can be directly engraved with a laser. Be sure to watch some videos here, here, and here.
We have a 5th generation 40W laser from Full Spectrum.
Who are we?
We are a bunch of people that want to do interesting things and explore the world and technology around us. Expression of this interest takes at least as many forms as we have members, and often employs an amalgam of found and newly-constructed hardware and/or open-source and self-authored software components, but may be as simple as screwing some pieces of wood together to make a useful tool we don't have yet.
Bloominglabs was forged from the Bloomington Hackerspace Initiative and the former IU Robotics Club.
- Read our Bylaws for a more formalized overview
Kits For Sale
We are currently teaching a machining course for members only. Disappointed? Consider joining Bloominglabs!
Reserve a spot at any of our workshops or classes by sending email to contact]at[bloominglabs.org.
What is a hacker space?
It's a physical location where people can share resources for their own creative pursuits. It's also a resource where people can come in off the street and advance their own knowledge. In urban locations it can often be hard to find places to weld/build/make noise and keep projects on-going without having to tear down and put-up your work each evening. With a hacker space people can work on their projects and not worry about annoying their neighbors or spouses. The social aspect is also an incredibly important component. Having people to bounce ideas off of and discuss your projects with when you get stuck is a great thing.
What needs to be done yet?
Check out the Todo list to see the latest things we need to get done.
Also see who else is working on this project: Special:ListUsers
Uploaded files: Special:ImageList
Nearby Hackerspaces/Makerspace or initiatives:
- Club Cyberia (INDIANAPOLIS!)
- Makerspace Goshen (Goshen Indiana)
- Greencastle's Makergroup
- Hive13 (Cincinnati, OH)
- LVL1 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Vault404 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Collexion (Lexington Kentucky)
- Pumping Station: One (Chicago)
- Dayton Diode
- Detroit Facility
- i3 Detroit
Other Cool Groups in Bloomington
- The Bloomington Print Collective -- a non-profit community print shop.
- Indiana Filmmakers Network -- provides support, camaraderie and resources to filmmakers.
- Bloomington Amateur Radio Club
- Indiana University Amateur Radio Club
- IU Makes
- Bloomington personal Fabrication Group (IU 3D Printing Club) - also a trac hosted here
- The annual Hoosier to Hoosier event (resale trail)