Meeting Minutes

From Bloominglabs
Jump to: navigation, search


Meeting Minutes

June 04, 2024

2024_June_Board_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

May 07, 2024

2024_May_Board_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

April 02, 2024

2024_April_Board_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

March 05, 2024

2024_March_Board_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

Feb 24th, 2024

2024_Yearly_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

March 4th, 2023

2023_Yearly_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

March 12th, 2022

2022_Yearly_Meeting - Meeting agenda and notes

2021 Yearly Meeting Agenda/notes???

2021_Yearly_Meeting - These notes appear to have not been posted, stubbed in basic info on 3-12-2022

February 9th, 2020

2020_Yearly_Meeting_Agenda - Meeting agenda and notes together

Dec 15, 2019 Members Meeting

2019-12-15_meeting_agenda_with_notes - An agenda for the meeting and minutes to be added afterwords

Sept 22, 2019 Members Meeting


To insert more notes here upon conversion to MediaWiki format

March 9, 2019 Yearly Meeting


July 18th, 2018 Members Meeting


June 13th, 2018 Members Meeting


March 21st, 2018 Members Meeting


February 18th, 2018

2018_Yearly_Meeting - Meeting agenda
2018_Yearly_Meeting_Notes - Meeting notes

February 11th, 2017

2017_Yearly_Meeting - Meeting agenda
2017_Yearly_Meeting_Notes - Meeting notes

December 14th, 2016


September 14th, 2016

2016-09-14_meeting_minutes Primary topics: identifying and dealing with items taking up space in the workshop, ideas for how to make the Purgatory concept work better, and the potential for a metal casting workshop.

June 8th, 2016

2016-06-08_meeting_minutes July 4th parade entry, air compressor purchase, dust collection accessory purchase, 3D printer purchase

March 10th, 2016

2016-03-10_meeting_minutes Workshop planning session

August 5th, 2015

2015-08-05_meeting_minutes Car lift location, large donation of mini-computers, Makevention & The Resale Trail.

July 29th, 2015

2015-07-29_meeting_minutes Meeting to decide renting the warehouse next door.

July 22nd, 2015

2015-07-22_meeting_notes Meeting to discuss possible expansion into warehouse next door.

July 16, 2015

2015-07-16_meeting_notes Meeting to discuss acquiring the car lift from Nick and installation.

June 3rd, 2015

2015-06-03_meeting_minutes School Factory, Treasurer's Report, July 4th Parade, Logo, Upcoming Workshops, Car Lift, Temporary Memberships

January 25th, 2015

Yearly meeting, 2015_Annual_Meeting info here.

January 21th, 2015

  • Meeting to vote on bylaw amendment to support 2 at-large officers

September 10th, 2014

  • Discussed dumpster and internet status. Also discussed amending our by-laws to include conflict-of-interest article needed for when we apply for 501c3 status as well as some other minor changes.

July, 2014

No meetings, but relocated to South Rogers warehouse during this month. Much activity and discussions occurred during this time despite the lack of formal meetings to document.

March 9th, 2014

Meeting agenda:

  • Discuss viability of leasing the warehouse Adam Nahas would like to sublet to us (different from the previous warehouse he originally proposed).
    • Positives: double our current space, more ability to expand as needed later on
    • Negatives: much more expensive, buildout costs are a concern, AC not available (heat questionable), not being able to get onto the main lease as we requested was a large problem.

A final vote a week after this meeting decided against this move.

January 11th, 2014

Yearly meeting, 2014_Yearly_Meeting info here.

October 16th 2013

Meeting agenda:

  • Stolen PC found in dumpster behind building, reported to police
  • Physical space re-org
    • Starting with storage room - 4'x8' shelving unit will be removed, Nathan has 7 steel shelves which can be used to line the walls. This should open the room up more and also allow it to have a workbench so it can be used more.
    • Will plan to move Nathans shelves on-site on 10-23, will start before public meeting opens up

September 11th, 2013

Met with Adam Nahas at a warehouse he intends to rent and sublet on West 11th street. Open meeting for any Blabs members who want to check it out.

July 17th, 2013

Meeting agenda:

  • Treasurers report
  • Makevention
    • where are things at
    • laser cut badge design status (Dan)
    • T-shirt printing for Makevention and Bloominglabs
    • fund raising ideas for Bloominglabs at Makevention (selling Rage-face ink stampers, Jay's turned wooden pens, etc)
    • other things?
  • Bloominglabs
    • We should make plans about the space independent of the firehouse, will be some time before that project moves forwards
      • The old Mother Hubbard Cupboard location on 3rd street may be available for us to check out soon, lessor wants to rent it to a non-profit
      • 1300sq ft, our current space is 1000sq ft
    • Workshops - how the June workshops worked out (blue barrels, machining workshops)
    • Maby think of some ideas for workshops after Makevention
    • We've had a lot of new members in the past few months, questions and comments from the new folks? (or old folks)
    • Allyn's space reorg drafts - discuss reorganization of the new space
  • Vic brought up the idea of a rocket launch Saturday in September, more info TBA

March 14th, 2013

  • Proposed, voted on, and ratified bylaws to support two membership classes, new class supports a hardship/student/reduced membership rate
  • Announced we can start taking donations for the laser cutter

February 27th, 2013

  • Members meeting about outreach
  • Got input from everyone and talked about our 501(c)(3) tax status and how that relates to outreach
  • Discussed the laser fundraising, model to focus on

February 3rd, 2013


There are no notes from meetings that happened in 2012. Rest assured that lots happened this year. See the Bloominglabs Log for details on activities during this period.

December 7th, 2011

  • Discussed treasurers report and the upcoming yearly meeting date. Previously the 21st was suggested, however Saturday January 7th is the only date that works for everyone who has spoken up at this time (in the morning hours).
  • Discussed workshop ideas for 2012. First idea was to have a two-part soldering workshop in February. First part would have a basic kit led by Nathan, second part would have a surface-mount focus led by Nick. Current dates for this are Feb 16th and the 23rd.
  • Attempted to hand-out RFID fobs, however a technical issue prevented us getting them programmed into the RFID access controller. This has been rectified as of this writing (12/28/11).

October 19, 2011

New people

  • Joe
  • Aaron
  • Steve
  • Mark
  • Andrew


  • Jonathan
  • Daniel
  • dosman
  • Barry
  • Nick

dosman Rumble Challenge Demo.

Rex brought Pixis 2000 pharmaceutical dispensing cabinet (Pentium based) for hacking purposes, storing projects, part vending.

August 10th, 2011

Treasurers report Discussed bills Misc. items

July 6, 2011

Move stuff

  • Most of the move done July 4th
  • Tables and chairs acquired for the new space
  • Met at the Collaboration Room and packed up everything left at this location, moved to new space on Roll Ave.

Post-move Discussion

  • Round-table between all members on how we plan to use the different rooms of the new space
  • New costs associated with the new space
  • Ways to increase security

2011 1304

Geocache stuff

  • Steve showed everybody his Twilio-based geocache-logging-by-cellphone app, which folks liked.
  • Jennet and Steve looked into GPS simulators for testing the reverse geocache. Steve brought in the wooden box he proposes to use.
  • Steve looked at some sample code and making sure all the libraries including the SD card library will work together properly (sometimes libraries will need the same pin, and you have to go in and change the C code or be otherwise creative).
  • Some members successfully geocached before the meeting.

July 4th Parade

  • Charlie and Ross did some more work on the strandbeest. They've built 3 legs now. Mechanical engineering challenges are being addressed.
  • More fun with Twinkie cannons including some 'safety testing'
  • some experimentation with the set of IR LEDs being considered for use in the IR sign
  • Rex printed up some nice circuit boards for the IR sign using Nick's design.

Other Stuff

  • A new visitor, Nick, worked on a kit to build a temperature controller for a fridge or other controlled temperature environment. He soldered it up completely by the end of the meeting.
  • Some playing around with the electric wheelchair. It seems to lose power pretty fast. One of the 3 Nathans is looking into working out the control protocol.
  • Rex has done some more research on the robot platform in the storage room and has ideas for that.

2011 0902

July 4th Parade

  • Meetings for 4th of July Topics to come
  • New channel announced, #july4
  • what kind of float will we have? A theremin on a standbeest?
  • july 4 project proposal: giant smoke ring generators from barrels and shower curtain
  • cupcake challenge: send a cupcake 1000km away, get points for packaging, presentation, cupcake itself, etc. gps+ez-bake?
  • video cameras at the 4th: manipulate the videographers with infrared. Make something that only video cameras can see using far-ir leds.

October 13, 2010

Attendees: Jenett, Nathan, Brent, Justin, Barry, Jenn, and others

Topics covered:

  • Treasurer's report
  • Update on insurance - provider located who is willing to cover us
  • Bylaws

September 15, 2010

Attendees: Jenett, Nathan, Brent, Nick

Topics covered:

  • Treasurer presented financial report up to this point
  • Insurance for the space is still being investigated
  • Bylaw additions
    • Add 2nd membership class, $20 dues with key access and no voting rights
    • Bloominglabs termination article to govern a conversion to a non-profit; and to govern a termination of the organization all-together

August 11, 2010

Attendees: Jenett, Steve, Nathan, Will, Joe, Barry, Jenn, Brent, Justin

Collected membership dues from core group, collected member addresses to have on file. Discussed liability waivers (everyone signed one), and safety guidelines that the space should adopt. Discussed meeting with lawyer. Discussed possibility of getting a RedCross instructor to teach first-aid to the group. Discussed meeting rules (with intent to keep them focused and as short as possible). Everyone shown location of fire extinguisher, smoke detector, and first-aid kit.

Membership Agreement

  • Contact info - emergency contact info as well
  • Will knows a woman, Merridith, who says their hackerspace made $80K a year teaching classes
    • Their may be issues if we dissolve the LLC with the equipment - we may need to get rid of it.
  • Nathan and Jenett will try to meet with a tax advisor next week

Safety Training

  • As a group, go through how to use equipment
  • Trained group then trains future members
  • Barry - Should have some sort of requirements for being a trainer like proof they can use the equipment and we should all take a first aid course
  • Will - Red Cross will do training and what kind of safety equipment should we have?
  • Barry - Glasses, ear plugs, gloves, apron
  • Nathan - Menards has rated glasses for $1
  • Will - Note when to use safety equipment and when not to
  • Nathan pointed out the fire extinguisher and the first aid kit
  • Questions about where the breakers are (we should find them!)

New Members

  • Make new members attend public meetings for a while
  • Have them get a recommendation from a current member
  • Barry - make sure new members know the house rules and we should be prepared to kick people out if needed
  • Will - We may need to remove people who are "damaging the harmony of the group"
  • Nathan - Always be excellent to each other.
  • Will - limit the number of full members and does making people members mean a difference in liability?
  • Barry - Perhaps there could be different levels of membership

June 30, 2010

Attendees: Nathan, Joe, Nick, Jon, Steve, Will.

Discussed possible names. See the wiki page for details Possible_Names.

Discussed the possibility of naming a President, Treasurer, etc. Decided not to do that at this time, but Stephen Charlesworth was named Secretary.

Discussion of dues and rent. In order to make the room/space a reality we need a plan to fund this. We will not at this time set a definite rate for monthly dues, but the number $40 for full membership was thrown out there. Will possibly have different tiers.

Also, it'd be good to have other conditions for membership (existing members vote on new members).

Pondered possibly starting an LLC, talking with a lawyer, etc. to make things more formal and official.

Q: are their free consultations for non-profits offered thru I.U.?

Informal Meetings January through June 2010

Many informal meetings held between these dates, general topics.

December 1st, 2009

Rex worked on his X-Y stepper motor rig. Discussed having a surface mount class with Nick, need to acquire some hardware first. Rex offered his place up for a future meeting location, discussed having this early 2010 on a Friday evening.

November 24th, 2009

Nathan assisted Will on the fringe detector circuit, tested out different photo-transistors. Barry got his CD-R laser operational (removed from the drive).

November 17th, 2009

Met at Barry & Jenn's house while Jenett was away at SC09. Rex and Will got the Laser_Interferometer fringe detector circuit operational. Steve tested an RFID reader on his Arduino. Jenn worked on her LED bracelet. Barry extracted a high power laser from a CD burner.

November 10th, 2009

Will brought his Laser_Interferometer gear and set it up with Nathan's green laser pointer. Started working on building a detector to count fringes. Rex worked on an old Oscilloscope.

November 3rd, 2009

General topics covered.

October 27th, 2009

10th meeting. General topics covered. Nathan setup a laptop to run Graffiti Research Lab's Laser Tag projector/laser tracking program for use at Phreaknic 13. Jenett disassembled a VCR to get a motor as well as worked on a costume. Also worked on her laser harp project.

October 20th, 2009

9th meeting. General topics covered.

October 13th, 2009

No meeting

October 6th, 2009

8th meeting, 10 attendees. Jenett tested out Will's telescope CCD with the microscope. Will brought his Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and showed off his new ability to control the X-Y axis control through Scheme.

September 29th, 2009

7th meeting, 9 attendees. Started off by making speakers out of wire coils attached to the bottom of plastic cups. Jenett tested out a microscope. Nathan demoed his Arduino kiosk input device he's working on. Several of us debugged a few of the AVR programmers and got them back into working condition again.

September 22nd, 2009

Sixth meeting, 9 attendees. Started off by reconfiguring WiFi for easier access of attendees. Next 1.5 hours was a formal discussion about the direction of the space, what projects people are working on, and about continued use of Jenett's basement. At the end, Rex showed us the complete process of how he etches circuit boards, creating 6 ATiny programmer boards in the process.

Discussion points:

  • We may continue using Jenett's basement for another 6 months (until Apr 2010), at that time we will re-evaluate if use of the basement is still acceptable or meeting our needs. If we have enough interest we may begin discussing becoming more formal as a group and finding a space to rent.
  • If we get to a point that we have shared tools stored in the space then unattended use of the basement can be accommodated by installing an outside door lock and a door at the top of the stairs.
  • All agreed that we need to have our weekly meeting even if the basement is configured to allow unattended access, a large part of this group is sharing knowledge while we are all together at the same time.
  • All agreed that for now, while meeting in Jenett's basement, the space will be invite only (read: we are not advertising the group or otherwise publicly seeking more attendees. However, if you found us and are interested ask us if you can attend a meeting and you will more than likely be invited). Unattended access to the basement, if configured, would only be provided to attendees that have been to several meetings and are in good standing.
  • The issue of a more formal name for our group and moving the wiki/mailing list to a new name was raised, it was decided it was not a critical issue at this point. At the 6 month mark we can revisit the issue if/when a more formal entity is started.
  • Mark discussed the makerbot and how he intends to buy one in the near future; also that if we where interested he could bring it in to a meeting so we can try using it
  • Discussed the idea of having regular presentations on our own areas of expertise, Nathan volunteered to do this first on a small Arduino program he wrote at the next meeting
  • Round table discussion of what projects each of us wants to work on and accomplish

September 15th, 2009

Fifth meeting, 9 attendees. General AVR and Arduino free-for-all.

September 8th, 2009

Fourth meeting, 6 attendees. More AVR programming, discussed microcontroller projects for True Dungeon. N64 power cord repairs. Nathan setup his 5V 20A regulated power supply so each person can power their breadboard without having to find an outlet to plug-in a power brick. Uploaded more AVR code to the wiki for easy access. At 9:16pm we watched the International Space Station and the shuttle Discovery fly over Bloomington together, quite fantastic!

September 1st, 2009

Third meeting (Jenett's basement - all future meetings will be here unless otherwise specified), 9 attendees. Setup tables and chairs in the basement, moved in mini fridge from the garage. Everyone setup proto boards with AVR/ATMega chips, worked out problems with ATTiny USB programmers and avr_dude/gcc software. Uploaded AVR blinky test code to the wiki (AVR). Looked at Jupiter with Jenett's 8" telescope at the end of the evening.

August 19th, 2009

Second meeting (Max's Place), 9 attendees. Discussed what it is we want to accomplish with this group and what people want to get out of it. Agreed to meet at Jenett's house for our next meeting to learn AVR programming and discuss using her basement as a future meeting location and potential hacker space.

June 6th, 2009

First meeting (Bakehouse), 4 attendees. Discussed forming a group of people before moving forwards with the space. Also discussed having an informal "group tool sharing" program.

Personal tools