Welcome to Bloominglabs, Bloomington's very own hackerspace!
Bloominglabs is Indiana's first hackerspace also known as a makerspace. We are a group of community members that have commonly rented a place where we can collectively build projects. We are open to the public on Wednesday evenings from 7pm until 10pm and are family friendly.
Also, a big hackerspace welcome to Club Cyberia, the new Indianapolis hackerspace! This space has been a long time in the making, and is now a reality. Check them out at http://clubcyberia.org/index.php/Main_Page.
We are a non-profit now! Bloominglabs is incorporated as its own entity in the state of Indiana, and is fiscally sponsored by School Factory, Inc., a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Want to make a donation with PayPal? Please use this link:
- (Note to members - this link should not be used for paying membership dues)
Who are we?
Bloominglabs was forged from the Bloomington Hackerspace Initiative and the former IU Robotics Club. We are a bunch of people that want to do interesting things and explore the world and technology around us.
- Sign up to the announcement mailing list to keep up with our group.
- Our Calendar of events
- Follow us on Twitter @Bloominglabsand Facebook.
- Checkout photos from past events on Flickr
- Our IRC server is at irc.bloominglabs.org:6667, #hackerspace.
- We can also be reached via old fashioned email at contact (]at[) bloominglabs dot o r g.
We have 1,000 sq ft of which 750 sq ft is unfinished, cement floor workspace and 250 sq ft is finished office space for hanging out. There's also a full bathroom. The address is 3927 W. Roll Avenue which is just north of 2nd Street up Curry Pike. Come check it out! [MAP]
Kits For Sale
Reserve a spot at any of our workshops or classes by sending email to contact]at[bloominglabs.org.
Current Events (PastEvents)
We have lockers available for rent now!!
- We are in the beginning stages of planning a maker fair in Bloomington called "Makevention"
- Keep an eye on our page for more information!
- Public Hack Meetings!
- Every Wednesday from 7pm until 10pm
- Come build projects, ask questions, teach things, and learn stuff
- All ages and everyone is welcome
- We have acquired a mill. If want to chip in for it, add your pledge to the Mill page.
- We are trying to acquire a laser cutter. If you want to chip in for it, add your pledge to the Laser page.
What is a hacker space?
It's a physical location where people can share resources for their own creative pursuits. It's also a resource where people can come in off the street and advance their own knowledge. In urban locations it can often be hard to find places to weld/build/make noise and keep projects on-going without having to tear down and put-up your work each evening. With a hacker space people can work on their projects and not worry about annoying their neighbors or spouses. The social aspect is also an incredibly important component. Having people to bounce ideas off of and discuss your projects with when you get stuck is a great thing.
We are accepting memberships! Please see the Membership Manual for details.
Currently we meet every Wednesday at 7:00pm at 3927 W. Roll Avenue, Bloomington, Indiana. These meetings are open to the public; anyone is welcome to attend. We usually meet for 2-3 hours and have a lot of fun. Having access to tools is only part of the equation, socializing with people and learning from each other is another large benefit from our group. Pretty much whatever people want to work on or learn is fair game. We currently have an electronics and robotics focus but there's also interest in general science and astronomy as well. If it's cool and interesting then we are all interested.
What needs to be done yet?
Check out the Todo list to see the latest things we need to get done.
Also see who else is working on this project: Special:ListUsers
Uploaded files: Special:ImageList
Nearby Hacker Spaces or initiatives:
- Club Cyberia (INDIANAPOLIS!)
- Hive13 (Cincinnati, OH)
- LVL1 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Vault404 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Collexion (Lexington Kentucky)
- Pumping Station: One (Chicago)
- Dayton Diode
- Detroit Facility
- i3 Detroit