Welcome to Bloominglabs, Bloomington's very own hackerspace!
A space for sharing tools and knowledge to make stuff!
Bloominglabs is Indiana's first hackerspace (also known as a makerspace). We are a group of group of people who have rented a shared workshop where we can build projects both collectively and individually. Our space is located at 1609 S. Rogers Street, Building 4 (our building has our gear logo painted on the wall). We are open to the public on Wednesday evenings from 7pm until 10pm and are family friendly.
Did you see us at the Parade? Did you get one of these:
If so, you're at the right place! Visit the wooden nickel page to learn more. (It's worth time on Bloominglabs' laser!)
Make sure you also come to Makevention the last Saturday of August--it's our local celebration of makers, hackers, crafters, artisans, and other DIYers.
- Sign up to the announcement mailing list to keep up with our group.
- New! We have a discuss mailing list now.
- Our Calendar of events
- Follow us on Twitter @Bloominglabs, Facebook, and Google+.
- Checkout photos from past events on Flickr
- Our IRC server is at bloominglabs.org:6667, #hackerspace.
- We can also be reached via old fashioned email at contact (]at[) bloominglabs dot o r g.
- Send us email to get an invite to our Slack site.
- We have a new mailing address! P.O. Box 2443, Bloomington, IN 47402
Bloominglabs Incorporated is a non-profit registered within in the state of Indiana and has 501(c)3 charitable status. Want to make a donation with PayPal? Please use this link:
- (Note to members - this link should not be used for paying membership dues)
Also, we have an Amazon Smile Account For Bloominglabs. If you use that link to place an order on Amazon, we get a little cut. Thanks!
Information for our members: this is how we process cash and hardware Donations.
Current Events (PastEvents)
- 4th of July Parade
- Bloominglabs will be marching in the 4th of July parade
- Contact us if you'd like to join us!
- Public Hack Meetings!
- Every Wednesday from 7pm until 10pm
- Come build projects, ask questions, teach things, and learn stuff
- All ages and everyone is welcome
- Space Improvements
- Tool and workspace arrangement
Currently we meet every Wednesday at 7:00pm at 1609 S. Rogers Street Building 4, Bloomington, Indiana. These meetings are open to the public; anyone is welcome to attend. We usually meet for 2-3 hours and have a lot of fun. Having access to tools is only part of the equation, socializing with people and learning from each other is another large benefit from our group. Pretty much whatever people want to work on or learn is fair game. If it's cool and interesting then we are all interested.
Who are we?
We are a bunch of people that want to do interesting things and explore the world and technology around us. Expression of this interest takes at least as many forms as we have members, and often employs an amalgam of found and newly-constructed hardware and/or open-source and self-authored software components, but may be as simple as screwing some pieces of wood together to make a useful tool we don't have yet.
Bloominglabs was forged from the Bloomington Hackerspace Initiative and the former IU Robotics Club.
- Read our Bylaws for a more formalized overview
What is a hackerspace?
A hackerspace is a physical location where people can share resources for their own creative pursuits. It's also a resource where people can come in off the street and advance their own knowledge. In urban locations it can often be hard to find places to weld/build/make noise and keep projects on-going without having to tear down and put-up your work each evening. With a hacker space people can work on their projects and not worry about annoying their neighbors or spouses. The social aspect is also an incredibly important component. Having people to bounce ideas off of and discuss your projects with when you get stuck is a great thing.
Nearby Hackerspaces/Makerspace or initiatives:
- Cyberia (INDIANAPOLIS!)
- Castlemakers (Greencastle, Indiana)
- The SHAK (Kokomo, Indiana)
- Hive13 (Cincinnati, OH)
- LVL1 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Vault404 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Collexion (Lexington Kentucky)
- Pumping Station: One (Chicago)
- Dayton Diode
- Detroit Facility
- i3 Detroit
Makerspace Goshen (Goshen Indiana)
Other Cool Groups in Bloomington
- Indiana Filmmakers Network -- provides support, camaraderie and resources to filmmakers.
- Bloomington Amateur Radio Club
- Indiana University Amateur Radio Club
- IU Makes
Bloomington personal Fabrication Group (IU 3D Printing Club)(no longer meeting) - also a trac hosted here
- The annual Hoosier to Hoosier event (resale trail)
- Press (jigsaw) Puzzles