[Bloominglabs-announce] Possible new space

Jenett Tillotson jtillots at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:05:15 EST 2011

At our last meeting, we talked about a possible new space for Bloominglabs.
I wanted to share some info with everyone about the space.

It's located in a strip mall just north of 2nd Avenue on Curry Pike and Roll
Road. The space is 1,000 sq ft which is 750 sq ft of unfinished, cement
floor workspace and 250 sq ft of finished office space. The office space has
about 150 sq ft of a main room with two big windows - it would make a great
lounge. There are two smaller office type rooms that are about 50 sq ft.
each. The space also has a bathroom that includes a shower.

The space is more expensive than our current space - $500 a month plus
utilities (electric, water, and taxes). I think the space will cost us $700
a month which is quite a bit more than the $400 we pay now. We would need to
have a big membership drive which would be must easier if we have a cool
space, or have members pay a bit more (we're thinking $50 a month), or we
could also have two tiers of membership dues - I know several of us in the
group wouldn't mind paying more and perhaps we can find some benefits to
being in the higher tier.

The drawbacks to the space are that it is on the edge of town, although it's
not that far out. It is close to things we really want to be close to - like
Radio Shack, Lowes, and Wal-Mart. There are also apartments above the space,
but the owner says that should not be a problem. We are going to put a noise
clause in our lease such that if the tenants have issues with our noise and
we can't work out a compromise (and I'm not willing to compromise much),
then we can get out of the lease.

I have pictures of the space here:
http://harold.uits.indiana.edu/~jtillots/hackerspace

Note, the bathroom will be finished and the junk will be gone out of the
work room. I have asked that they not finished the wall and not finish the
floors in the work room.

We are going to try to arrange a trip to the space in mid-March. I'll keep
everyone posted.

Get back to me with any questions or concerns.

Jenett