[Bloominglabs-announce] smashing nickels

Randall Embry rpembry at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:17:59 EDT 2011

While I prefer the legal unambiguity of flattening quarters with a
ball peen hammer, it is nice to know we probably have other options:

The prohibition contained in § 82.1 against the treatment of 5-cent
coins and one-cent coins shall not apply to the treatment of these
coins for educational, amusement, novelty, jewelry, and similar
purposes as long as the volumes treated and the nature of the
treatment makes it clear that such treatment is not intended as a
means by which to profit solely from the value of the metal content of
the coins.