[Bloominglabs-announce] Makerspace lecture at IU

Jenett Tillotson jtillots at cogbots.com
Mon Apr 22 12:28:54 EDT 2013

I'm hoping I can make it to this lecture on Friday, but I'll may be tied up
with the BigRed II dedication. However, it looks really interesting.

Jenett

From: Catapult Center <catapult at indiana.edu>
Date: Monday, April 22, 2013 10:49 AM
Subject: Catapult Center Lecture: William Turkel Friday 4/26

      The Hands-On Imperative

William J. Turkel
University of Western Ontario

The idea that "making is thinking," as Richard Sennett puts it, has
always had some place in the humanities. Until recently, however, it
was costly and difficult to produce physical objects. Now online maker
communities, powerful design software, cloud-based services, desktop
fabrication and physical computing make it almost as easy for people to
make and share artifacts as information or software. I describe how to
set up a makerspace and fab lab for humanists, and why you might want
to.
http://williamjturkel.net/**2013/02/02/the-history-**
department-with-a-fab-lab/<http://williamjturkel.net/2013/02/02/the-history-department-with-a-fab-lab/>

Friday, April 26, 2013
Ballantine Hall 003
4:00-5:30 p.m.

Sponsored by the Catapult Center for Digital Humanities & Computational
Analysis of Texts
www.indiana.edu/~catapult <http://www.indiana.edu/%7Ecatapult>