Welcome to Bloominglabs, Bloomington's very own hackerspace!
Bloominglabs is Indiana's first hackerspace also known as a makerspace. We are a group of community members that have commonly rented a place where we can collectively build projects. We are open to the public on Wednesday evenings from 7pm until 10pm and are family friendly.
Also, a big hackerspace welcome to Club Cyberia, the new Indianapolis hackerspace! This space has been a long time in the making, and is now a reality. Check them out at http://clubcyberia.org/index.php/Main_Page.
We are a non-profit now! Bloominglabs is incorporated as its own entity in the state of Indiana, and is fiscally sponsored by School Factory, Inc., a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Want to make a donation with PayPal? Please use this link:
- (Note to members - this link should not be used for paying membership dues)
Information for our members: this is how we process cash and hardware Donations.
We are currently doing a pledge drive to purchase a laser cutter for Bloominglabs. What can people do with this you might ask?? It can cut light wood and acrylic for rapid prototyping. It can also etch wood, acrylic, and metal. Many objects from iphones to laptops can be directly engraved with a laser. Be sure to watch some videos here, here, and here.
What laser do we want? We've done our research and we have decided on a 5th generation 40W laser Full Spectrum.
We are very close to reaching our funding goal, please see our Laser page for the latest info. Care to make a tax deductible donation for this cause? Simply use the above PayPal button and mark the donation for "Bloominglabs Laser Project".
Who are we?
Bloominglabs was forged from the Bloomington Hackerspace Initiative and the former IU Robotics Club. We are a bunch of people that want to do interesting things and explore the world and technology around us.
- Sign up to the announcement mailing list to keep up with our group.
- Our Calendar of events
- Follow us on Twitter @Bloominglabsand Facebook.
- Checkout photos from past events on Flickr
- Our IRC server is at irc.bloominglabs.org:6667, #hackerspace.
- We can also be reached via old fashioned email at contact (]at[) bloominglabs dot o r g.
We have 1,000 sq ft of which 750 sq ft is unfinished, cement floor workspace and 250 sq ft is finished office space for hanging out. There's also a full bathroom. The address is 3927 W. Roll Avenue which is just north of 2nd Street up Curry Pike. Come check it out! [MAP]
Kits For Sale
Reserve a spot at any of our workshops or classes by sending email to contact]at[bloominglabs.org.
Current Events (PastEvents)
We have lockers available for rent now!!
- Decorate the 4th Street pedestrian bridge for WCIW!
- The third week of April is World Creativity & Innovation Week. Bloominglabs is going to celebrate by decorating the pedestrian bridge that runs over 4th Street connecting Fountain Square Mall to the Garage Art parking garage.
- We will be meeting at Bloominglabs on Tuesday, April 16th, between 6pm and 10pm to brainstorm and starting building. This is a free, public, all-ages event. Everyone is welcome including art groups who want to be in on the project.
- We'll build what we can on Tuesday evening, finish the build on Wednesday and install on Thursday. So come Tueday, bring your ideas, and if you have interesting materials you would like to use, bring those too! See you there!
- We are in the beginning stages of planning a maker fair in Bloomington called "Makevention"
- Keep an eye on our page for more information!
- Public Hack Meetings!
- Every Wednesday from 7pm until 10pm
- Come build projects, ask questions, teach things, and learn stuff
- All ages and everyone is welcome
- We have acquired a mill. If want to chip in for it, add your pledge to the Mill page.
- We are trying to acquire a laser cutter. If you want to chip in for it, add your pledge to the Laser page.
What is a hacker space?
It's a physical location where people can share resources for their own creative pursuits. It's also a resource where people can come in off the street and advance their own knowledge. In urban locations it can often be hard to find places to weld/build/make noise and keep projects on-going without having to tear down and put-up your work each evening. With a hacker space people can work on their projects and not worry about annoying their neighbors or spouses. The social aspect is also an incredibly important component. Having people to bounce ideas off of and discuss your projects with when you get stuck is a great thing.
We are accepting memberships! Please see the Membership Manual for details.
Currently we meet every Wednesday at 7:00pm at 3927 W. Roll Avenue, Bloomington, Indiana. These meetings are open to the public; anyone is welcome to attend. We usually meet for 2-3 hours and have a lot of fun. Having access to tools is only part of the equation, socializing with people and learning from each other is another large benefit from our group. Pretty much whatever people want to work on or learn is fair game. We currently have an electronics and robotics focus but there's also interest in general science and astronomy as well. If it's cool and interesting then we are all interested.
What needs to be done yet?
Check out the Todo list to see the latest things we need to get done.
Also see who else is working on this project: Special:ListUsers
Uploaded files: Special:ImageList
Nearby Hacker Spaces or initiatives:
- Club Cyberia (INDIANAPOLIS!)
- Hive13 (Cincinnati, OH)
- LVL1 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Vault404 (Louisville Kentucky)
- Collexion (Lexington Kentucky)
- Pumping Station: One (Chicago)
- Dayton Diode
- Detroit Facility
- i3 Detroit